Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A coast closer to the roomie

These days, I feel so overwhelmed with the amount of changes I have been going through, and will be going through in the next few months. I feel the same anxiety that I felt while leaving India four years ago. How would the place be? How would I go apartment hunting? Will I be able to make good friends? Who would I share my apartment with?

And with that, I now I have with that the pain of leaving Seattle. I never realized how I fell in love with Seattle until I had to leave it. Every street walked on, so many restaurants visited, so many things done, so many memories built. The few times I visited the east coast, I always told myself that this is not where I would ever want to live, that I am a west coast person. Someone up there was laughing at me.

However in all the chaotic thoughts that ensued, I sigh in relief, having a good reason to look forward to the move. Long back I used to have a virtual roomie. My only relief and reason for excitement comes from the fact that I will be moving closer to the roomie. Well, not exactly so close that I could smell the food he cooks and he could hear me when I sing in the shower. It took me almost 6 hours of flying time to meet him. Now it will be 6 hours of driving time. But even that in itself is great for me.

Of course I am aware of the practical constraints, and know that the meeting frequency will soon be on a declining curve. Even then, the mere thought that I can start early morning and meet him for lunch is excitement.

I had first met roomie in the US during a certain Thanksgiving [2007 I think], and it was a mad trip of east coast exploration, all mostly in trains and Greyhound. Neither of us knew how to drive then, yet nothing deterred us. New York City, Washington DC, Princeton, Baltimore, we had seen it all. The next trip happened during the next Thanksgiving in Philadelphia. Then roomie visited me in Seattle. What an amazing trip it was, we went to every place I had wanted to show him, and more. Two months later, we met again, in a big group, exploring Virginia. And two months later, we were on another long road trip to Yellowstone National Park.

The great west coast-east coast distance never really deterred us from meeting and doing something that both of us love – Traveling. Every trip we made had so many fun memories. I was fondly going through all those pictures, smiling, grinning, and smiling again. I know I will be leaving behind amazing friends in Seattle. But I am equally excited that I’ll be at a drivable distance from the roomie. Sure he will graduate in a few years and will move. But till then, I hope there would be many more fun meets, peals of laughter, movies watched together, restaurants explored together, singing, driving, planning, traveling, arguing, differing, books recommended, letters exchanged, and in all this, building beautiful memories together. It’s amazing how with some people, you don’t even know how to make conversation, there is so much difference (or indifference) between you two. And then there are some people with who you don’t even need to think while making conversation. You might as well be in the parking lot waiting to start your car and meet a friend when roomie calls, and the next thing you know is you have spent more than an hour in the parking lot just talking talking talking, the waiting friend long forgotten. Such is the bond I share with him.

Ever been in trouble, knowing someone who will help you is just a phone call away?

Ever missed a bus or lost directions to a place and called up someone living 3,000 miles away, knowing that you will be guided no matter what time it was?

Ever panicked when something didn’t work out, only to send an email and have things taken care of?

Ever felt lonely and then just dialed a number and talked for hours, forgetting every sadness in the meantime?

Ever giggled so much that your tummy hurt like crazy?

For more than multiple reasons, I feel thankful and blessed to have such an amazing friend in my life.

sunshine

5 comments:

Alpine Path said...

I have some friends like that (one of them almost the same as your roomie that when I showed the first post to him, he thought it was about him :D) and I'm so blessed to have them. Its when you see others that you really understand how much these people mean to us! Here's raising glasses to our virtual roomies, wherever they are!

Anonymous said...

marry him

Anonymous said...

i have read ur posts for long.....i have kinda been thru what u are doing...i did get married when i was almost 28....an arranged marriage after all the "i thot he wud porpose me someday and it never happened" ...if u get along well and u like him...take a serious thot about it and get settled....u can always study, earn money and do whatever in life...certain things will make sense and give you stability oly at the right time...good luck...

Keerthi said...

Whoever this anony is, its so true. I dint come to US to study but on a fancy onsite job, made money went to places had so much fun with team mates and friends. There was one crush or love or whatever, I have gone past all this and in no mind to even distinguish the different terms. I liked him and I “thot” he liked too, we went to so many places and there are photos were we were giggling and some just really nice pictures that every one secretly commented. So many days and so many months later, our projects were done and we were to return to India. Till then I “thot” we still had an underlying understanding that its all gonna work out and when we both returned same day, same flight and after all the nice nice moments I had no second thots he was gonna ask me after we reached home. I took a long break went to my hometown, just like urself went through all my old memories, good bad and ugly ones and went back to work. 2 weeks later after constantly “smsing” indirect stuff et all I went back to work. That day on my internal IM, I get a message. “I have something important to say to you” I still remember my emotions and whatever expectation crap….he did tell me, he got engaged the previous week. Ha ha ha that was such a joke, I went back and traced the time of my messages and the time he got engaged, they so much matched. This guy spoke all this “hang in there I am gonna propose you crap” even on the day he got engaged. May be I got it all wrong, but I was 28 and not so much a fool. You know what the biggest irony was, I went to the airport to receive my fiancé and that same flight he was returning home (after another US trip) and I had to introduce him to him. Well it’s all over, I am married for 5 years and still I sometimes wonder what all those talks ever meant. What a waste or my valuable time and love

Rakhi said...

!!!!
I've been rendered speechless by the free flowing advice. ;)
I've had such friends. I'm glad that the move will let you spend some much-needed time-with-real-friends.