Sunday, May 20, 2007

Meet My Roomie..

I have this irresistible urge to rave and rant about my ex-roomie today. It might take me a couple of posts, but trust me, it’ll be worth the read.

And for all those who didn’t know I have a roomie- yes, I did have one.

I met him a couple of years back at home. His mom and my dad had been childhood buddies. There was this excitement one weekend that there’s a guy from IIT who has taken out his valuable time to come visit us with his parents, and so we were woken early on a weekend to dust and clean the house, clean ourselves up and be our best selves. Already cursing the anticipated nerdy guy who we imagined would be a chashmish with heavily oiled hair combed neatly with a front centered parting, sitting shyly in between mumma and papa and nodding his head to everything, my sister and I decided to bully him. Our initial shock came out of seeing this tall, good-looking man looking ravishing in a black tee shirt with the words “IIT” typed visibly who was a far cry from the initial idea we had of a chashmish working on the computer. But bullying was a custom for anyone overly praised for their virtues by my parents. Soon, he was flanked with me and my sis and while my sis kept bombarding him with questions, I looked straight into his eyes and kept smiling and nodding till he got so uncomfortable that he would start squirming in his seat.

That was the plan originally. However my sis soon got tired of asking him questions, and I was asked to dutifully show him around the house. It is a custom to take anyone new to the terrace and take pride in showing him the view from there. Soon, we were on the terrace talking, and God knows how barriers fell, walls were broken, and we were exchanging email ids.

That was some three years ago. He has been one of my closest buddies ever since. So what if he was doing computer engineering in one of the best places and was a nerdy niner and we were so often reminded back at home how to be a good kid like he is and do well in academics? He is one of the most versatile guys who could live up to his goody boy image coming from a missionary school for boys, and be an equally rowdy engineering student.

It started with weekly emailing, monthly talking over the phone when he would be home and occasional meetings. How can I forget the way the aunty beside us was crying buckets in Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna while we kept making inane jokes about the Khans and the Bachchans and the aunties and everyone else. Apart from roaming around in Esplanade and my visits to his place to eat goat meat curry his mom made, the thing that got us so close was the fact that we could discuss anything under the sun.

When he went to Germany for his summers, he would tell me in detail about the people and the new stuff he learnt. And then I came to the US and talking became an occasional event. However we soon devised a method to be in touch. I made him my virtual roomie. Gmail and Gtalk helped us through this. We would be logged on to Gtalk 24/7, and while he did his assignments and I did mine, we kept chatting as if we were living in the same place. I would always be greeted with a good morning email from him when I woke up. And then we would talk about trivial stuff like mess food, what classes did you have today, and anything and everything under the sunlight and the moonlight. While he gave me funda on computer engineering and programming, I told him about my experiences in the US and how things were different here. We would write occasional letters to each other. But most importantly, my morning would start talking to him before I freshened up.

It was like having a person in your own room, talking to him, sharing stuff, despite the fact that the person lived half way across the world. We talked about everything, from computers to programming to biochemistry to politics, sports, his institute, my school, crushes, heartbreaks, family matters, and everything else. He has helped me in so many of my assignments by reading and editing and giving his feedback. I remember a particular quiz when I had scored a 5/35 (there was no credit for partially correct answers) when he actually used probability to calculate that the chances of anyone getting an answer correct was (1/2) to the power 7, so difficult the exam was. This had worked wonders to boost me up that day.

We have spent hours playing KBC when I would ask him inane questions with weird choices. I remember once we played “who do you think my latest crush is” and kept giving him options. By Jove, this brilliant guy narrowed down the choices and almost got most of the answers right.

Having a virtual roomie was fun. I could have someone to talk to, yet I had my space and privacy. It felt sad coming back to an empty room with no one to talk to. At the same time, I could be in my shorts with my unkempt hair and my room in a mess, and not worry about my roomie seeing me that way (the firewalls didn’t let us use camera). In an age when most of my friends complain about how poorly they get along with their roomies while they argue on every little thing ranging from who will cook what and who will pay for what, I have been fortunate in having a roomie who was never really physically present to give me a hard time, yet was always there whenever I needed him. The guy who taught me how to make power point presentations, the guy who taught me that more than meeting a deadline, it is important to beat the deadline, the guy whom I started to respect for his disciplined life and the way he handled priorities, he is the best roomie anyone could have.

But like all good things end, he graduated and went home. Ever since he left, I have felt this void, this emptiness in my room (though he was never really there), these inexplicable feelings of missing someone and not having someone to rush to and tell every time I spotted a good looking guy on the campus, felt low, or needed help with my assignments. He will be in the US soon, and I hope that we will be able to resume our roomie-ship then, though he will still be a good many time zones away. Interacting with him has made me a far better person and a far better friend.

I miss you roomie. I miss telling you my exam marks and you analyzing where things went wrong. I miss listening to the insane stories of your friends who dressed up like the Pandavas while going for an exam. I miss you cheering me up every time I cried. I miss you explaining me the concept of God while I yawned and flipped websites without you knowing it. I miss falling asleep at nights talking to you.

I miss you.


sunshine

23 comments:

Suryansh said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
~Nayan~ said...

Nice one :)
Really gtalk and 24x7 internet facilities made our lives much simpler especially when it comes to PNPC.

sunshine said...

suryansh- ssshhh!!!! that's him. You know him?

nayan- hehe, and i wasn't just talking about pnpc, i was talking about real conversation.

chinna said...

Nice one.. reminds me of my roomie :-)

Unknown said...

awsome ... crazy ... impressive ... :) ... hope you both come together soon !!

Kavi said...

That was impressive. Your wonderful capturing of the relationship makes me miss this kind of person in my life !

A friendship beyond boundaries and distance with both intimacy and space ! Wow ! If not for the fact of this being a true story, i would have said, "utopian" !

sunshine said...

chinna, piyush, kavi- thanks for your wishes. Hope he gets to be my roomie again sometime soon enough. :)

Chaos said...

Beautiful. and i could relate to almost everything you wrote.

Heres wishing you get your roomie back soon enough.

cheers

Layon said...

The best read of the week!!!

Anonymous said...

You sure hve revolutionized d whole concept of having a roomie..gr8 !I'd got muddled between a 'tag' n a 'link'..so d story was like..i've linked u since i love ur writings n keep on writing more n more....:)

The Soul of Alec Smart said...

Hey, I also have a similar roomie.. I am doing my MBA, and through the ups and downs of my journey at an IIM, an old friend of mine (who is now in the US, and with whom I had not been in touch for years before he happened to see me on Orkut one fine day) has been a "Dear Diary" of sorts. And now, I always have to tell him every little detail.. I ping him so many times that he calls me just that - "Ping"! :) So, cheers to ur roomie and mine!

Suryansh said...

Sunshine you cannot post his pic in public and then proclaim privacy.....thats like Abhishek and Aishwarya announce their wedding and expect no media persons to be there :))

I am from kgp and he was in my section in the first year !!

sunshine said...

chaos, nonsense thinking, lavendar- thank you :) !!

the soul of alec smart- see!! I am not the only crazy one out there.

suryansh- I had his consent on the pic, but I din ask him about the name. Am sure you know him, and that way even I know who you are (thanks to orkut) :) chill !!

abhartiya said...

hmm..ahem ahem!
i dunno but i passed by ur blog somehow while i was searchin fo dis exclusive material fo GRE..lol

newas, i dunno bt uve somehow encouraged me to start writin again considerin i was pathetic wen i frst started bloggin

cmin bak to d post, i guess m quite familiar wid d kinda roomie u had. i too had a girl a few months bak, but d difference was we neva met before..jst dat we met online n den we were very good frnds in bou 3-4 years..but as soon as i met her a few months bak, she suddenly started ignorin me...

newas i hope i dun write a blog as ur comment...

ciao!
happy bloggin

Suryansh said...

Hmm....well...good if u know me now...u need not have used orkut...my blog is like an open book !! Anyways, good luck with ur roomie [:)]

sunshine said...

anshuman- welcome.

suryansh- you seem a little pissed off. So you from the same hostel?

Suryansh said...

Why should I be pissed off [:)]...but u said u knew me and if u did visit my orkut profile and did a little exploring, u wud not ask me this !! But since u have I will answer that. Yes I am from the same hostel - Patel.

kpowerinfinity said...

hopefully he is really going to enjoy the architecture at his new univ ... when i went there, i was completely blown away ..
and besides, a lot of his friends from both school and college are going to be very near, and i am sure he will not feel the loneliness that initially grips most indians as they visit the US...
oh yes ... it was fun spending 4 years with your roommate :)

nilux said...

5 years in my case.. [:)]

sunshine said...

kpowerinfinity, nilux, suryansh- arre arre small world, huh? Yahaan to sab apne hi biradari ke nikle. So you guys all know him, right?

Ships said...

nice... well-captured in words.:)

Ravemz said...

Its was a pleasure reading it :)

Most of us have always known him as a smart, talented and a well-focused guy, and no doubt you also say so :).

I am quite surprised and as well as amused to know about this beautiful side of his.

But I do believe there is always a side of a person which he reveals only to a chosen few. Which is proved very well here , isnt it ?

So when kpowerinfinity told me about this post, he asked me to read about the "Chupa Rustam", which could be a apt title for this post as well.

Lovely post.

sunshine said...

shipa- thank you.

ravemz- ask me how dear he is to me, and what an adorable guy he is.