Tuesday, May 18, 2010

34 C

Yes you heard me right. 34 C. That’s what I semi-whispered to the only woman in the lingerie shop amid a bunch of men whose ages ranged from 14 to 54. I was not really on a bra-hunting spree, I’d much rather go to a shopping mall and help myself without the world knowing of what I needed. I’m not really in the age range where I turn tomato-red when sanitary napkin ads come during commercial breaks or I flip channels to hear the mellifluous voice of a bunch of village chicks singing naughtily “Bol sakhi bolt era raaz kya hai” [What is thy secret, o sister?]. However I didn’t see any need to get hold of a microphone and declare to the world what I was looking for. But when a friend from the US asked me to get her a few of those 34Cs from Kolkata, I had to oblige.

I wasn’t really happy seeing so many men ready to serve you in a lingerie shop. Where were the women? I hushed my needs to the only woman I could spot in the store. First, she must have been hard of hearing, for she looked at me and urged me to voice myself louder. I was half-tempted to indicate the bus route 34C telling her, “Remember the bus route that goes from Esplanade to Baranagar? I want that bus number”. I realized how funny I would sound without making myself understood, first, because the odds were high that she would get more confused, and second, because who knows if the buses 84, 109, and 203 also went between the same places. So I braced myself and muttered only a few decibels louder- 34C.

“Color?”

“Uh …. White, black, pink, whatever”

“Design? Lace? What type?”

Uhh… I was shifting uncomfortably, wishing I’d be anywhere but here. “Anything will do. Laces?”

And just when I thought my plight was over, I found something akin to a nightmare coming true. For she turned to the boy, barely 20, and repeated, “34C. Show white, black, pink. With laces. Show it to her”, she pointed at me.

I was tempted to protest, “Not me, my friend”, but shut up as it sounded so lame.

The boy rummaged through the hinterlands of the shop with neatly stacked boxes with pictures of voluptuous women showing half covered assets and looking at various angles away from the camera. Unable to find what I was looking for, he further turned to the man in his 50s and repeated the instructions given to him verbatim.

How I wished I had turned to powder and vanished.

So after what seemed like a lifetime of searching, rummaging, and asking questions about suitable alternatives, the old man came up with a few boxes of what I needed, handed it over to the young man, who in turn handed it to the lady who dutifully bared the contents of the box in front of everyone. I was thinking of ways to conceal my embarrassment when I heard a thick, authoritarian voice from behind me, “42 C dikhaiyega” [Show me 42C]. Where were these liberated women when I was looking for them? The woman attendant quickly went to interact with the 42C woman, and I was left at the mercy of two men who insisted the product I was seeing was world class.

“Take this, it’s export quality, very comfortable, very stylish”. To emphasize his point, he held the piece of cloth in between his hands like he would hold an elastic band, and stretched it a couple of times. “Ekdum stretchable kapda hai. Export quality”.

Suddenly I knew what I had to do. No longer able to witness a person from the opposite gender stretching a piece of cloth of supreme privacy to me, coaxing me to buy it just because he could stretch it anyway he wanted to, emphasizing the ultimate comforting experience I will be embarking on if I wore it, I left the boxes at the counter, muttered something incoherent, and started towards the exit. To which the man looked confused, wondering if he had got me the wrong stuff by mistake. He shouted, “34C nahi chalega kya?” [Won’t 34C do?]

Whatever hope of privacy I had left like the smoke out of the chimney. The whole world now knew what size I was looking for. It was barely any consolation that I was not looking something for myself. I finally paused and looked one last time at the man, “It’s for a friend. I will ask and come back”, and sped out of the door.

I felt so stupid, trying to convince the world that it wasn’t something for me but for a friend. As if they cared. I know I am going back to nowhere except the shopping mall in Seattle where I can settle things within the four walls of the fitting room without the world knowing about what exactly I wanted to buy. As far as my friend goes, I’d recommend her she do the same.

sunshine

13 comments:

Doli said...

hahahhah :) I had the same experience while I was in India.. and that time I was shopping with my dad :) so it couldnt get worse than that :) How I wish in India, women would start being there at lingerie counters rather than men. It's quite embarassing for me! It's way better in US where women are mainly around and they even ask you if you need a bra fitting :)

piyu said...

Lol..

I hate seeing male "helpers" in lingerie shops too .. why is it so difficult fort he shop owners to understand their customers needs :P

BTW, I have been a very regular reader .. in fact, yours was the first blog I ever read :)

delurking here for the first time

rt said...

Kolkatta doesn't have shopping malls???
India has changed u know..!

Apurba Kundu said...

you seem to be in love with Seattle, so if u haven't heard the song'come on Seattle by owl city, hear it!!!

and i love ur blog....have been reading it for ages.

Anonymous said...

ggffh

Anonymous said...

great writing i say!!do one atleast every day.

Anonymous said...

try out the malls i suggest- forum, south city. they have women helpers. the lingerie section is normally in a discrete section. thank god for the malls. i used to dread the age old shops with male helpers

Anonymous said...

what abt "Esplanade" Southern avenue?? what is southern abt the avenue??. i forget the other names. great people once lived in S cal maybe thats why names are so posh there!!esp 46 B Raja Basant
Roy Rd!!

sunshine said...

Doli- See, I knew others have gone through the same plight too :)

piyu- Welcome here, am glad you commented :)

rt- Of course Kolkata has shopping malls. But my mom likes to stick to the same old shopping places we used to go to 20 years ago. She thinks malls are a ripoff.

vika_8- hehe, thanks for recommending the song, I haven't heard it. And you are right, I am madly in love with Seattle :)

Anonymous- You know, that's what I target to do, write a post, even a small one, everyday. But most of the days I lose enthusiasm !!

Anonymous- Have been to Forum, South City et al, but my mom loves those old shopping places we used to go to like New Market and Gariahat. Mom thinks malls are a ripoff big time.

Anonymous- :) I'm sure the current residents will mind this invasion of privacy :)

Anonymous said...

LOL MAX !

rt said...

hey u replied to d comments..which is gud :) i dint observe it earlier...nt blaming u though... My mom has same idea but by persistence made my mom take a dekko at shopping malls now and thn tho...suggest u do the same..
or else...be ready..trying slipping out of shops... (un)noticed ;)

Ira Mishra said...

Hi,

I am a regular reader of ur posts and I really appreciate most of ur writings...some are really engrossing ..I have commented in the past also but very rarely...I always thot u write so well that my comments might not do justice to ur posts..but this particular post I thot I should voice my opinion...Hope u take it in a positive way...
First of all the post itself kind of sounded a little contradictory to me...I mean the post speaks about lingerie and we being girls are stating that its embarassing to specify the details of the same when a guy is attending us in the shop...but we are comfortably posting to the extent of size and other details and commenting about our experiences on a public blog...thats really a contradiction...
As for lingerie...I don't think it shud cause any kind of embarassment in any way to buy or specify the details to another human being be it a guy or a girl as its just a necessary piece of clothing ..an essential...just like any other essential shopping item...and if we are bold enough to post about it on our blogs or comment on any other blog post I think buying the same shouldn't cause any trouble...
Actually if the post had been about you being a spectator to some girl who was feeling embarassed to specify the details to a shopkeeper who happened to be a guy or had it been that the guy whom the details were specified to was behaving weird and had you described your reaction the post would have been more appreciable and kept up with the boldness in the right spirit...This is just my honest opinion...

sunshine said...

rt- haha, I'll try doing that :)

Ellora- Welcome Ellora, and I appreciate your comment. I myself was in a dilemma while writing this post, more so because I wanted to write it the "right way" without being misunderstood. 34C is a hypothetical number, it could have been anything, no personal info was given out :) Also, though this post was written in the first person, it was written after hearing incidents being told by a lot of friends about how embarrassed they were since the person they had to interact with was a guy. Sure it is an everyday means of livelihood for men, but it is uncomfortable for most of us :) I hope you will not see any deeper meaning to it than the fact that I've tried to laugh at the discomfort we have all faced, in a humorous way of course :) And I totally understand that you do not agree with me on this post ... I was sure a lot of my readers would have the same response as you did. I just wanted to experiment with writing about something most of us are uncomfortable talking about.