Friday, February 04, 2022

Starting 2022 with (COVID) positivity

2022 started with new experiences. I should have known something is terribly wrong when I started to crave watching Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham. I sat through the over-the-top, misogynistic, problematic 3.5-hour movie, crying through every moment, even more than the very gaal-fola-Gobindor-Ma Jaya Bachchan did. I was feeling pretty down by then and decided to order biryani. I must be the only person in the world who got the news of being tested COVID positive and went back to eating biryani, now somewhat relieved that the sudden, inexplicable urge to watch a crappy movie might have had a medical reason.

.

.

I’ve been thinking a lot ever since, lying in bed and asking, why me? I’m doubly vaccinated and always doubly masked up. I live the life of a recluse. I don’t party. I’ve said no to most people wanting to meet in person. All my friendships and relationships have been relegated to WhatsApp. I haven’t attended a wedding since 2012. I have never had domestic help. I haven’t traveled internationally. I mostly cook my food and order room service when in a hotel. I teach online. I never whine on social media about how I don’t have a social life anymore. Why me?
I got plenty of time to mull over these questions but found no answers. I spent the whole of January coughing and sleeping out of sheer weakness. That is what COVID does to you. Everyone who has survived it will have their own story to tell. My story involves a quarantine room I fell in love with, some brain fog, and a former US president.
.
.
I am glad that I quarantined myself within an hour of showing symptoms, even before my RT-PCR could be scheduled the next day. I had taken a flight to Kolkata a week ago, just like I had done a few times in the past year, doubly masked and fully vaccinated. I had managed to evade COVID for almost two years since its outbreak. Yet, I shivered uncontrollably that evening, so much so that I had to wear a few sweaters and don double socks, getting on my haunches horizontally and hugging the bed. It also brought a sense of deep fear that pushed me to message a few close friends and let them know that I was very ill and I might be dying. I did not know what had afflicted me to bring about those chills and shivers (I still did not believe that it could be COVID), but if this is what dying looked like, I wondered if my financial savings would sink down the bank’s floor remaining unclaimed for life.
.
.
It was my sister’s father-in-law, Malay Babu, who took most of the brunt of my illness. Within minutes, he had to vacate the bachelor pad where he lived, cooked, watched television, and enjoyed his life. It is a small, cozy room on the mezzanine floor I passed on the way to the rooftop. The doors were usually partially closed, so I never really got a good peek into the room. That would be my quarantine room at least till my test results were out. The sheets were quickly changed, fresh pillows were brought from downstairs, and Malay Babu barely got ten minutes to collect his essentials and move. I somehow limped up the stairs, holding on to the handrails, entered the room, and collapsed on the bed. I do not remember much from the rest of that night.
.
.
I opened my eyes the next morning and looked around to get my first close look at the room. There was a fan atop my head and an air conditioner on the wall in front of me. There was a monitor. On the corner was a table with an assortment of medicines, a bottle of hair oil, and shaving paraphernalia. On the right wall were two windows, now closed. On the left wall were a series of pictures, some in black and white and some framed. First, there were Maya's ancestors staring back at me with stern eyes, I could tell the resemblance with little Maya. Maya is my eight-month-old niece. In one picture, Maya looked like an old man wearing dhuti and sitting on a chair. The resemblance of the forehead was striking. In another picture, Maya sat in a white sari, her head partially covered, with a striking resemblance of the cheek bones. Wait, was I hallucinating? How could both her great grandparents look like Maya unless they both looked like each other? My eyes drifted to the other pictures, a wall calendar (the tell-tale sign of a Bengali household), gods and goddesses, Thakur Ramkrishnadeb, Sarada Ma, and Swami Vivekananda. Then there was Sai Baba, Radha Krishna, and wait, a framed picture of George W. Bush smiling back at me. How did I forget about this picture?
.
.
My sister got married many years ago. It was during the wedding that I met Malay Babu for the first time. He seemed like a traditional, nice person who spoke in Bangal and lauded me for doing a PhD (I was a PhD student at that time). He had also made an unusual request, asking me if I could bring him a picture of President Bush the next time. It would be one of the more unusual things someone had asked me to do. Obama was already the president then, I wonder if he knew it. I wondered what connection a gentleman from Kolkata who has only left the country for three trips to Bangladesh and has never boarded an airplane ever could have with President Bush. I told myself that it was none of my business. The next time I visited Kolkata, I gave him a rolled and laminated, 19” by 13” poster of President Bush, bought from Amazon for $10 (including $3.99 for shipping), that has gone out of stock since then. He was thrilled and thanked me many times. He never asked me for anything again. I heard that he took the poster to three shops in Rashbehari Avenue and all of them refused to frame it after looking at the poster. He finally found a shop where the person, after much coaxing and cajoling, framed the poster for him.
.
.
And now, I was trapped in Malay Babu’s room, watching George Bush smile back at me from the very poster that I had bought many Januarys ago.
.
.
I tested positive. I postponed my tickets. I called my parents and told them that I am not coming back to spend time with them for a while. There were tears. There was pep talk. There were dozens of medicines—cough syrups, nasal sprays, and multivitamins that replaced Malay Babu’s medicines. And there was a lot of brain fog. I was too weak to sit or walk or spend time on my phone, so I spent the next many days looking out of the window to see darkened algae stains on the walls of the adjoining homes on the right and President Bush smiling back at me on the left. I do not know if one was more interesting than the other.
.
.
I fell in love with the room. It had a calm, restorative energy to it. I would doze off by 8:30 pm and wake up by 6 am, opening the windows and waiting for the first rays of the sun. With winter sunlight streaming in, this became the window to the world I was temporarily quarantined from. I suddenly had the gift of time and started taking note of the small things. An old woman, now blinded and possibly in her 90s, sang devotional songs praising Ram and Krishna every morning. I learnt that she has been abandoned in that house with a servant, her children having moved out long back and now waiting for her passing so that they can sell off the house to a promoter and build a high-rise apartment. On the other side, I heard loud voices of a child and a rather overbearing mother that left little to the imagination. “Why aren’t you eating breakfast? Why aren’t you doing your homework? How much water have you been drinking since morning? Have you emptied your bladder? Come, it’s time for a bath. It’s time for your drawing classes.” At night, the mother cooked and the child sat in the kitchen doing homework, the mother constantly nagging and asking him to frame sentences in English with perfect grammar. “Make a sentence with the word boy. What is the opposite of a boy? Make a sentence with the word girl.” One mistake in sentence construction, and the mother would be very upset. I wondered what all the fuss was about perfecting a language, a foreign language that too.
.
.
I listened to many such conversations throughout the day, all while in bed, that I eventually discovered was raised on a platform using bricks and discarded blocks of wood to increase under-the-bed storage space. I sometimes wondered what would happen if the bed collapsed under my weight. The sunlight continued to give me hope every morning while President Bush kept smiling at me. Time had slowed down, and with nothing much to do, I thought a lot. I thought about my childhood and the winter of fourth grade when I had contracted chicken pox. We used to live in a really big house, and I was sent to the farthest room to quarantine. I lay there on a folding bed all day and watched the Telugu neighbors erect a grand pandal for a family wedding. They played loud music very early in the morning and with the absence of television or phone, that was my source of entertainment. Thirty years later, I still remember some of the songs of Kumar Sanu they played; those songs still remind me of chicken pox.
.
.
My symptoms changed for the next few days. The chills were gone, but then came high fever. Then one day, there was sneezing. And coughing. The night when I threw up my dinner, I had an elevated heartbeat. My body had no clue how to respond to COVID. I went downstairs only a few times every day, for bathing and for using the restroom, my head reeling as I climbed up and down the stairs. My sister and her husband sanitized everything I touched with gusto. They gave me delicious home-cooked meals, peeled pomegranates, washed my dishes (so that I do not touch more things), and refilled my hot water flask, being at my beck and call 24/7. After living on my own for 16 years, I was glad that I was not left to recover on my own. On days when I felt a little better, I sat on a chair atop the stairs. From there, I watched little Maya play or watch “Gaiyya meri gaiyya” (Oh cow, my dear cow) on television.
.
.
Malay Babu, the fantastic story teller that he is, regaled me with hundreds of stories from his life in Bangal bhasha. He enunciates Corona as Koruna (sympathy), and told me stories from the time when he served in the army, how he ran away from home once, how he drove jeeps during war, lifted weights, and ran miles every day to stay fit, how he went to Bangladesh to meet his extended family decades after his parents had moved to India, how he went bargaining for Ilish maach (fish) from Podda when the person selling fish told him that he has two begums (wives) and 18 children to take care at home, and how he got on a cruise ship near Barishal (might have been a large boat) with no money when a Muslim don who wore “jaali genji” (a vest designed like fishnet) rescued him. I relished all his stories from my vista point atop the stairs till I had no more energy left. Then I would go back to my room and stare at President Bush till I fell asleep. I am not sure if I was hallucinating, but I sometimes thought that he was moving his lips to talk to me.
.
.
Eventually, my quarantine ended. I slowly started spending more time downstairs. Wearing a mask all the time became a habit. We celebrated the end of quarantine with biryani from Nusrat’s, just like the day when I had tested positive and spent the evening watching a crappy movie and eating mutton biryani. I booked my tickets. My parents visited. I packed my bags and put the sheets and pillow covers for washing. I hung my blankets in the sun. I picked up my things and took one last look at the room that had become my safe haven for the past two weeks. And I was awash with sadness. Sunlight was streaming through the windows just like it did every day. The mother was asking the child if he needed help separating the bones of the fish on his own. Maya’s ancestors started back at me. And on the far end, President Bush smiled back at me, wishing me health and waving me goodbye. 
.

sunshine

No comments: