Thursday, February 03, 2022

Managing the career

While checking in, the hotel receptionist asks me, “Ma’am, can I see your id?”

The concierge looks at my id, looks up information about my booking, looks at my id again, and asks me the most unusual question.

“Professor, can you give me tips to prepare for the CAT interview?”

The next morning, I wait for my taxi to get to the interview center. I call the driver and hear a sweet, pre-recorded voice speaking to me in Telugu. I understand nothing but understand enough to know that the line is busy and Driver Garu is speaking to someone else. He shows up eventually, wearing pottu, a circular dot on his forehead. I pay him and am about to leave when he says, “Madam, please give 5 rating before you get down.” He ensures I gave him five stars before I leave.

 At the center, I meet those who are organizing the interviews. My job was merely to see that everything looks good, and everything does look good. I didn’t have to do anything but watch.

The head of the center hurries to meet me. “Welcome madam. Welcome madam.” He assured me that everything is taken care of. Then, he lowers his voice a few decibels and asks me— Professor, may I ask my daughter to come meet you so that she can get tips on how to prepare for the CAT? She is in the tenth right now. She will need the time to prepare.

A helicopter parent! He asks me if I got my MBA from the same institution where I work. I tell him that I do not have an MBA. He never summoned his tenth grader after that, so I hope that this signaled to him that I am not worthy of giving career advice. What a relief!

The MBA obsession is everywhere!

sunshine

No comments: