Tuesday, February 08, 2022

Daably distracted

I went off for an evening stroll and enjoy daab (green coconut). Found a daabwaala (seller).


"I want a young coconut with moderate flesh," I said. I didn't want a ripe daab that has now become a coconut, nor did I want one with no flesh at all.


The guy barely looked up. On auto-pilot mode, he tapped and picked a coconut, cut it, and gave it to me. He had his earphones on, and his eyes were glued to his cellphone. He was smiling, lost in his own world.


I found it rather odd. I finished off the water and asked him to take out the flesh. He did so rather reluctantly, on auto-pilot mode. I finished it and asked for one more. I was pretty sure he looked mildly annoyed.


"What are you watching so intently?" I asked, curious.


"PUBG," he said. And I needed to hear no more. We have a PUBG-addict in our family too. My brother-in-law.


"Sabzi?" I asked knowingly. The dirty look he gave me, you should have seen his face.


I gave him a 500 rupee note. He showed me by hand gesture that he may not have change and he doesn't want to get distracted looking for change. I gave him a 100 rupee note. He barely managed to return me a twenty.


sunshine

No comments: