Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Enlightenment amid pyramids




Pic: The Pyramid of the Moon (left) and the Pyramid of the Sun (right).

Waiting in a long line in front of the Teotihuacan pyramids in Mexico, 
I was faced with a mathematical problem of enormous proportions. If there are only finite (and definite) ways to climb a pyramid and there is a crowd of thousands waiting to do so, the wait only gets greater proportionally (assuming all other factors remain constant) as one climbs higher because a pyramid is essentially a triangle in 3D. I suspect that this profound realization struck me because I was waiting in line on a pyramid, which meant that instead of seeing the back of someone's head standing in front of me, I was standing on the lower step of an incline and staring at their ass. After such forced ass-staring for about 40 minutes, I was done. I realized that this mathematical problem could be solved using principles of human psychology.

I had aimed to climbed two pyramids- the Pyramid of the Sun (where one could go all the way to the top) and the Pyramid of the Moon (which you were only allowed to climb half-way). Since the second one could not be climbed all the way, far less people were attempting to climb it at all. "Go where life takes you without resisting it," the inner voice screamed aloud once again. I climbed down the sun and made my way to the moon just in time that it was 5 pm, time to drive the tourists away. Instead of hoping to get past the asses, I optimized my constraints of time and energy and ended up climbing half of both the pyramids. 

Mexico City is an amazing place. Despite warnings of being kidnapped, mugged, killed or encountering drug dealers, I am disappointed to report that no such thing happened. The people are nice and friendly, the weather warm, and the food amazing and amazingly cheap. Everything about this place feels like India. People bargain, openly (and loudly) whistle on the streets to signal one another, and heavily rely on what we know as "jugaad." I have never felt more at home.

Flirting is culturally acceptable. Men do not hesitate to compliment or openly (and harmlessly) flirt with stranger women. I met a very interesting 72-year old man, our tour guide, who ran up and down churches as if he was 35. He flirted with most women on the bus, but it did not look cheap or vulgar at all. When he said that I am beautiful, I sighed and told him, "You too, Juan? I wish people were not so obsessed with beauty and women got complimented for their brains too." To which, he brought his face really close to my ears and whispered, "That will never happen, señorita. Men are scared of intelligent women." The way he said it made it sound really profound and entertaining at the same time.

So I saw and climbed half of two pyramids, ate fried crickets, tried pulque (a local drink), visited Frida Kahlo's home (a museum now), and saw, touched, and learnt the many uses of a maguey (agave) plant.


sunshine

No comments: