Thursday, April 03, 2008

Morning Sickness

Brain-Hand Coordination-

Class registration menu
Go to list of courses
Select appropriate course
View course details
View class timing

8 AM- 3 days a week.

Hand stops. Brain function goes frantic.

8 AM? Who wakes up at 8 AM on a Monday morning to go to class? Do you know what 8 am classes mean?

No more shutting off the alarm and going back to sleep. Catching the bus at least by 7:30 AM, breakfast or no breakfast. Spending Sunday doing homework and going to sleep at 9 pm.

8 am, come rain, hail, storm, snow, sun, light, darkness, cold, or fog.

8 am means being done by 10 AM and not knowing what to do with the rest of the day. And coming back when people are just starting to go to school.

It means arranging for breakfast at night and probably going to sleep wearing the next day's clothes just to get those extra 10 minutes of much yearned sleep. It means not caring about dress, hair, or looks, and getting into the department still half dazed and yawning. 

It means finishing all the pre-assigned readings by Sunday night, and not waiting until Monday. Which also implies getting the class handouts printed way before Sunday (I currently print it Monday morning).

It means not being able to wave sleepily to my roommate anymore and wonder how lucky I am before going back to slumber?

8 AM? Even for exams? But who will wake me up? 

Seems it is gonna be a tough quarter. Three days a week of morning sickness for the first trimester. No puns intended.

sunshine

13 comments:

cm chap said...

Ha Ha.. Enjoy

Rakhi said...

Ahh, doesn't life screw us bad!! :)
My sympathies...

Anonymous said...

first time vistor, came here by bloghopping, the perils of graduate school, enjoy the days..:)

Amgele Loku said...

sigh! thats such an unearthly time, I tell ya!

kd said...

Why does knowing about the hardships that someone else faces make us feel lighter at our (relatively) better position? :)
My solution to avoid morning sickness in such situations is to shift my entire routine a couple of hours back, instead of just the days I need to wake up early.. but such resolutions are easier to make than to keep!

sunshine said...

cm-chap- :)

rakhi- yeah, but in a way, it's also kinda fun, and it keeps the blog posts coming..

anu- Welcome, and happy reading :)

m- I know... grrrr..

silcador- hmmpphh, if only we could stick to all our resolutions... ggrr...

Jo said...

i totally empathize with ya!!!

Chaos said...

As a going-back-to-school myself, i am shuddering about this myself......that is an ungodly hour........surely there are better tests of strength, moral fibre, and so on and so forth, for the colleges to put their poor brave students too??? I protest :((

Rakhi said...

of course it makes for fun blog posts!! And screwing or not, it's fun to do new things - like getting up by 7!! (no sarcasm here, lol) :)

Novice said...

hi..been reading your blog quite often...but never made an effort to tell you how much I've enjoyed reading through..

despite the number of things,we have in common..female being in general..n bong background and a US student life to get more specific..i think anyone would easily relate to your experiences,thoughts n feelings..

i think a writer's greatest accomplishment is when the reader feels every word with the same purity as what you have written them with....you defintely accomplish that!
looking forward to many more experiences,thoughts n feelings weaved by the threads of your words!
much love!

Unknown said...

Here's a suggestion Sunshine.. Change ur name to Sunset, Don't sleep the whole night, Go to school, Come in the evening and sleep till midnight again.... Follow IST dudette....

Spiritual_Flame said...

hello...
I ve been reading ur blog from quite some time... got to u thru abhishek's blog.. His blogs are usually funny, but u ve a real knack of writing...
I love ur writing style...

Regarding a comment on ur blog...
Yes its hell lot of work to wake up at 6.30 or so to go to college at 8.. I remember my engg college days, when we used to wade thru thick fog to reach the lecture at 8...and that too usually without breakfast and a bath...
chalo happy studying.. and enjoy dreams of missing the bus and getting late for class...

sunshine said...

jo- :)

chaos- Well, but as they say, if you cannot beat the system, you might as well go with the flow...

rakhi- lol !! I do agree with you..

novice- I am so glad I got this comment from you, and truth be told, I have enjoyed readers' responses as much as the readers have enjoyed reading me. Wish you all the best :)

red phoenix- Hey that is one hell of an innovative idea... serious, I really like it :)

spiritual flame- Why, it is a pleasure to get your comment. I guess all of us have been through such phases of getting to class at some ungodly hour !!