Saturday, April 07, 2007

Science And Religion


Last weekend, a few friends drove to the nearby Gurudwara. I am not Sikh, and I had never been to a Gurudwara before this, not even in India. It was a lovely, sunny morning, and we drove for about an hour through the picturesque roads before we reached there. Since I didn't have a dupatta of my own or a handkerchief large enough, I was given a piece of blue cloth from the basket of colorful ones to cover my head. 



I visit religious places more out of curiosity. I am curious about the visitors, the buildings, the architecture, and what people do there. Here, I was curious to see what a Gurudwara looked like. It felt that I was in India and not in the US. There were hundreds of people, children running around wearing traditional Indian clothes, dupatta-clad women, bangles and all, in their bright salwar kameez. Most men wore colored turbans, and there was something about the whole atmosphere that made me long to visit the Golden Temple. I had recently watched the movie Amu, and that came to mind too. It was soon time for the Langar to begin. We were famished and we queued up.


The food was delicious. There is something about the food cooked in God's house that makes it so delicious. We sat on the floor and ate with our hands. I couldn't have been happier to be there.


A man was going around distributing rotis for people who wanted a second helping. I lifted my palms the way the others did. The man flung a roti at me, and to my horror, it went past my outstretched palms and landed on my lap.


The man was livid. He gave me a nasty glance and muttered a flurry of things that, although incomprehensible to me, did not sound nice at all. For him, I had done something that was sacrilege. I joined my hands and bowed my head, wishing that he would not create a scene. God's house was the last place where this should have happened. 


The man left, giving me vile looks. On my way back, I kept thinking about this episode in silence. Religion says that I had done something terrible (according to the man at least). Science says that some molecules of carbohydrates had defied the laws of physics and landed wrongly, either because the neurotransmitters in my brain weren't prompt enough to stop the direction of gravitational motion, or because the man's motor units (hands) didn't act in co-ordination with my neurons for me to time the catch well. The man might as well have been a batsman, the food a cricket ball, I being the fielder. So I went for a catch and I dropped it. I instantly regretted it, and instead of answering back, I apologized. I wish the man had responded differently. 


sunshine

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

:(.
koi na. u didnt do it intentionally. accidents do happen. it was nice of u to apologise for no fault of urs. not many would have done that.
-dharna

Mai said...

How incredibly sad. I have never heard of anyone being treated so disgracefully rudely in a langar.

No excuses. I have no idea what got into him.

Sorry.

Our blog might interest you. Or maybe not. http://roadtokhalistan.blogspot.com

We promise not to be rude to you!

cm chap said...

Hi Sunshine... Probably that incident had such a impact on you bcoz of the value system we have been brought up.. I have read the below lines somewhere :

You can't get hurt unless you wanted it...

Rahul said...

hey didi,
a lot of right minded religious people are tolerant, go about with others like they should... but yet an overwhelming majority are deluded by the fact that just coz they are dedicating themselves to their God's work, they have the moral prerogative to snub others.... you were perhaps an easy prey c'z you weren't in the traditional attire and by that token an outsider by all counts and that was visibly clear to him.

~Nayan~ said...

Well it can be taken as an orthodox, pious thinking but at the same time it also train our subconscious mind to take care of such things in future. But definitely after the apology 'kshama kijiye' they could have said something ' koi baat nahin'.....

whatever, but strong religious belief is the one which holds the cultural values together. Otherwise it would be just another animal kingdom....

Uncle Jim said...

I found your blog by searching for ironic stories. Its very readable.

I have quite a few agnostic friends and one thing they mostly have in common is confusing a relationship with God with religious dogma. Even within a community of faith, there are many people that are confused about this.

If you are interested in a relationship with God and you seak Him, you will find Him. When you say that God is within you, I believe that you are correct. You don't have to go to a church or temple to find God.

SurAj said...

What happened may reflect just the personality of that individual you mentioned or may be even his mood at that point of time.

It would be incorrect to deduce much - based on that one incident.

Anonymous said...

noooooooo ... no no no ... objections melord ...

i am an agnostic and though i don't intend to defend the other person or spoil ur mood ... further ...

1. why have you elaborated an incident to the whole religion and God concept ? I guess that's how stigma gets attached.

2. Is it not common sense that these kind of topics are already sensitive and what you call Roti is actually taken as prasad ... not carbohydrate for catch and throw ... The element is "respect" and not superstition there ... respect for food anyway is very basic in Indian culture or like your Old Mathematics professor another PHd seems to have lost knowledge of basics ... As far as i know, Sikhism shed superstition, sati sort of things, preached human equality etc since it's inception probably 400 years ago ... isn't that wonderful ...

3. I am amused why Noone else around intervened politely Or why your friends were made a party to the invitation you had sent.
Can you guess the reason ? Religious people are generally very tolerant and composed. Somehow you seem to have got the wrong person or or i don't know what ...

might taken a few liberties above since it's "Sunshine" ... The blog is eventually your bastion, ofcourse ... i wonder what can you do if the questions appear genuine ...

ME !!! ...

Anonymous said...

sry abt last post’s first comment...I m ashamed of my act....this time I will jst whisper so that no one listen to it ...'YOU SUCK BIG TIME"...sry again...regarding roti drop....I m wid u on dat...it wasnt like Gibbs dropping Steve Waugh in world cup....and till the drop Gibbs was fine but when Waugh told him " “Son, you just dropped the World Cup”. " tats when he hurt gibbs where it hurt most…..so did Sardarji....public humiliation....or public domain humiliation same difference.
Though I like ur blog.....they are excellent sedative.

sunshine said...

dharna- I know, and I guess I'll live.

mai- your blog is one of its unique kind. Never before have I come across something like this. Thanks.

cm-chap- true.

rahul- Hi Rahul, I know what you mean.

nayan- Yeah, true.

Uncle Jim- Well, this is lovely. Your are perhaps amongst very few of those non-Indian readers who have commented. Welcome.

suraj- I didn't think I was deducing anything. I was just recounting a sad incident.

anonymous- Very insightful, but just to let you know that in no way have I dragged God and religion into this or have generalized anything based on one person's behavior. The stuffs about God and religion are my own thoughts. Nothing incendiary was written or meant.

anonymous- It's amusing how some people would go to any heights to gain some attention.

Clarity Vs Eccentricity said...

Good one.. but needs to be seen from the view point of the people carrying religion and making it their livlyhd. So we cant blame them as well..
Nice post..

Anonymous said...

hi Sunshine,

As an extn of Chinmoy, to me it seems either noone or everyone can really be blamed ... with no "I" factor inbetween ...

the whole topic and your answers are infact debatable from references of the blog itself and some bitter analogies drawn ...

anyway I did not like this post at all and hope everyone's idea about Science, God, Religion, Geometry, Algebra, Telegu, Sanskrit, Kannada etc. have a better support ... atleast during presentation ...

sorry mam ...

ME ... !!!

Nasir Khan said...

Zooming in closely on the picture you posted, I saw some framed pictures on the wall behind. They reminded me of my last (and only) visit to a Gurudwara in California.
I found those pictures disturbing as some of them had people brandishing guns.
Several years ago I witnessed a bomb blast on a bus in Delhi during the height of Sikh separatist movement and still remember the face of a woman in her early twenties severely bruised and shell shocked but holding on to his dead husband as if he was still alive.

I asked about those pictures from some Sikh friends of mine and found out that they are part of their ploy to seek political asylum into US and Canada.
All that to me feels just plain wrong so I never went again.
Otherwise I admire the Sikh religion for its steadfast approach to their values and their very strong sense of community.

Harjot said...

I guess in this age we all have a common religion - Rationality and Humanity .Anything else only leads to degradation of the very morals for which religion evolved.

Incidentally at this very time religion is once again being used in Punjab as a manipulative tool to change the psyche of an ordinary god fearing man into a ravaging beast of violence.

The Sevaadaar in Langar forgot the the moral behind the sewa established by Guru Nanak Dev ji - that we are all humans with same needs and eating together in a community serves as the reminder of universal love and brotherhood.And the sewa is out of recognition of this love only.

What purpose does the act of this sewaadaar serve,other than giving a mean of self imagined moral righteousness, I wonder.