Monday, April 29, 2019

Conversations with other women


This is a favorite movie of mine, but back to the post. My mother is in deep introspection. Our life-altering conversation went like this today:
Me: Why do you sound so serious? What were you doing?
Ma: I was introspecting!
(This will be interesting, I think to myself!)
Me: What were you introspecting about?
Ma: I was introspecting about you.
Me: What about me?
Ma: I was trying to understand if you are intelligent or "shorol" (not worldly-wise, a euphemism for boka or an idiot).
(This is getting really interesting now, I think to myself!)
Me: So what makes you think that I am intelligent?
Ma: Well, you are publishing papers, going places. So you must be doing something right in life.
Me: Fair enough. And what makes you think that I am boka?
Ma (very sheepishly): Well, many years ago, I bought an unripe watermelon by mistake that was all white instead of red inside. I did not want to throw it away, so your sister told you that white watermelons are really healthy and yummy and you ate all of it. 
Me: I think it says more about my sister and your lack of grocery skills than it says about me! Anyway, keep introspecting and let me know if you have an answer.
sunshine

No comments: