Tuesday, November 17, 2009

To the random desi man

Dear random-person in the Indian store, 

I go to the store for a reason. I go there to buy the essentials I need, food items, good movies, sweets and candies, spices and vegetables. However, things have changed the last few visits. You see, I barely remember the first day I saw you. I try to stick to my shopping regime that consists of buying things, paying for it, smiling to the cashier and thanking her while she packs my stuff, lugging it to my car, and driving away. Sometimes I meet a friend of two I know, exchange a few pleasantries, and continue with my shopping. 


However I don’t think a store is a place to make random friendship. I know you are that random guy who organizes events in the city. I understand that for publicity, you will want to be in contact with as many people you can. The first day you shoved a flyer of some upcoming dance party in my hand. You also asked me if I was on Facebook and you would like to add me so that I was updated on any event. You see, if I am interested, I will find out about these events. I mumbled something non-sensical to you. You should have understood that I am not interested to add you, and was politely trying to avoid you. 


The next time I went to the store, you were there again. You asked me if I had looked you up on FB, and that you could not find me. I didn’t even remember your name from the last time. Why did you think I would look you up? And you were unable to find me for a reason. I do not add strangers. You shoved a paper with your name in my hands again, asking me to add you this time. I mumbled again. I wonder why you don’t get the cue. If I was interested, I would have asked you for your contact details. I came back and looked you up, you had some 800 friends on FB. I am sure not all of these are “friends” you grew up with, went to school with, or shared your personal life with. Most of them are innocent unsuspecting individuals you randomly pick at the store, shove some flyer into their hand, and urge them to add you. I wonder if this is a “desi meets desi in foreign country and instantly feels the connection” trait, because I feel no such connection with desis. I felt no connection with you. As a part of our upbringing, we are taught not to say a rude “NO” to anyone. In fact rude or not, we are taught to be nice to everyone. My mumbling and not encouraging you was a euphemistic “NO” from my side. 


The other day I was about to go to the shop again, I saw you inside and just slipped into some other store. You are now losing business, because of your meddling nature. You see, I cannot imagine any non-desi at the Safeway or Fred Meyer grocery store shoving a paper with his name in my hand, expecting me to add him on FB. It is considered unprofessional behavior. In any case, if I can bank on some extra-human waves reaching you, I would hope you get the message and not probe me further. Thank you. 


sunshine

5 comments:

Richa said...

Interestingly enough I had similar experience with a non-desi (Canadian). However, he wasn't a complete stranger but was a friend of an acquaintance. He kept insisting that I should add him on FB and even gave me a slip of paper with his name on it. I never committed to adding him as a friend. I met him again at some other place (this time he was sober) and he again asked me to add him! Dude, get a clue....

sunshine said...

Richa- A balanced behavor is a skill many of us could learn :)

Pavi!!!! said...

UGH! That is some nasty experience!! N how dumb shld (s)he be to expect u to add them in FB! Like really?!
N well..i hv had such experiences even from non-desis..u know the kind who work for time-share..or whose mission is to convert ppl to christianity?! My friend used to have these set of ppl knocking on her door every other day..n preaching christianity! She wld tell them as kindly as possible that she wasn’t interested…but they wldnt stop… she wld try to hide n pretend she wasn’t at home when this had b’com a habit with them, but it was hard for her to teach her 2 odd yr old daughter to do the same…and those ppl would yell out “ma’am, we know ur inside. Lets pls not play the hide-n-seek game” Can u imagine?!

buddy said...

this is as bad as amway

sunshine said...

Pavi- Yeah I know, I have been through similar experiences.

buddy- Exactly. Passive aggressive behavior is what characterizes all these people.