Friday, December 22, 2006

Strength And Strategy.

I don't think one can survive without the other. And for the third S, that is “success”, one needs to have both.

It takes a lot, and who would know it better than I do? It's strange how you see things around you, but barely notice them. And then one fine day, on a sudden moment of realization, things change.

I saw tall and mighty figures crumble to dust in the face of opposition. I saw strength boiling down to nothingness in testing times. I thought I would grit my teeth hard, and resist it. I thought with time, I would develop nerves of steel and endure it. I thought I would stand like that pillar of strength who bowed down to nothing. I thought that with time, I would become superhuman. I thought one became successful by standing proud and upright during crises.

I thought wrong.

And then, in one of the video clips, I saw the undersea creatures. I saw how successfully the sea anemones withstood the undersea currents by swaying and dancing with them and by not opposing them. I saw how they attached themselves to a strong surface and kept bending to and swaying with time.

That was strategy.

By standing tall and erect and inflexible, they would cause their nemesis. But by swaying with difficult times, they made sure that they withstood the harshest forms of inclemency.

Beautiful.

I saw the tall and the strong eventually bend or break just because they tried to be taller and stronger. And then I saw these little things adapt themselves and thus thrive successfully.

And then, I knew. I just knew.

That to be successful in whatever you do, it is not just enough to have a goal and oodles of strength. You have to have a strategy as well. The right strategy. And sometimes, rather than resisting force and breaking in the process, it is better to take life as it comes, and sway to the harshness of testing times. Instead of resisting and breaking up in the process, I'd rather sway and take life as it comes.

That will be my survival strategy henceforth.

Pic taken from here.

sunshine.

11 comments:

Sudipta Chatterjee said...

So true!

Jo said...

thats so true....in life where rough times are inevitable....

Anonymous said...

Simply amazing..i love how u blend such realities of life with things as simple and natural as a sea anemone !

Anonymous said...

awesome!!

naween said...

S for sunshine.

Ramlal said...

Strength Strategy and Success works well when you have to stand the test of time when you know that this will not exist forever this state of mind is demanded and is known to be soothing but there is one state even higher more pure and beautiful, its when you enjoy the numbness in your veins, when the cold outside feels like a warm blanket because inside you there is heat beyond any comprehension, when no one understands the insufferable pain inside you, when you want to tear you heart every time it wants to heal, you feel what it feels to be raped of your soul but you don’t protest, you stand naked in front of yourself with arms open head held high and smile at the sky to challenge, to announce your existence that you don’t want to win that you will not run that you’ll feel every little remanent of pain that is their for you and cry until your lungs cannot until your eyes cannot but smile because he can’t take what you’ve realised .

Anonymous said...

Awesome post...This was one of ur vry best posts..just liked the way u connected it with sea anemone. :)

Anonymous said...

a good learning for me :-)

Alpine Path said...

A good one. There is a saying in Tamil meaning that a person should be like bamboo and not a banyan tree in times of hardship. Ur post has said the same.

Anonymous said...

"Adaptation" ... the basic rule of existence ...
it's really difficult to keep things simple and flexible ...

very nicely presented ...

ME !!! ...

Anonymous said...

I thought I would stand like that pillar of strength who bowed down to nothing

Bowed to nothing depends on what are you abasing to. Always swaying with the wind is not gud in any ways. Standing tall like a tree refusing to get uprooted is what one should strive to be. It faces strong winds, takes it all on itself. But it sticks to the ground via its roots.
End result they are still there to serve endless living species in different ways.

I saw how they attached themselves to a strong surface and kept bending to and swaying with time.

But you fail to realize that they never left that strong surface. So if you analyze it further they actually refused to bend. You thought they swayed because of their physical nature and not because of their mental nature.

I saw the tall and the strong eventually bend or break just because of the fact that they tried to be taller and stronger

They were never tall and strong in the first place. You become tall and strong from withing

There are way too many technical issues with this post. I guess you need to re-think on many aspects.

You know who i am - as cynical as always.