Sunday, October 16, 2016

A new blog

I have a new blog now. A blog where I write about academia based on my experiences. But here is the thing. The audience is not other academicians. My target audience is people who are either not in academia (like my grandma) or people who are considering academia and do not know enough to be able to decide. For this, I will use simple, daily life analogies in my posts. So far, I have written for people who know the field. Here, I will write for people who do not know the field.

This blog was inspired when after my first day at work my Ma asked me what work they gave me. I did not laugh at her. But she surely did when I told her that I now have a job where no one gives me work. I give myself work. She did not believe me. Neither did my friends who are from outside academia.

The workings of academia were not always very clear to me and they still aren’t. I am just figuring out things one day at a time. However, I wish I had more information when I was considering career choices. Hence this blog.

I will be writing about my experiences from being a graduate student to faculty. I have written about how a faculty job is similar to driving and how the PhD adviser is like a driving instructor. I also talk about how taking coursework in graduate school is like building your computer processor. As you can see, I use a lot of analogies that people can relate to. Ideally, I would have liked to write a semi-autobiographical, humorous book based on my experiences in academia, but let’s face it, I just don’t have the time and energy to be a book author (if I did, I would have been one by now). So that these life learning do not fade away with an ageing memory, I am documenting my experiences through this blog.

I shall continue to write here on the sunshine blog about mundane, daily, non-academic matters. However, if you are interested in understanding academia or know someone who would, you might want to read this new blog.


sunshine

No comments: