Thursday, May 07, 2009

Aloha and Mahalo

After performing in a play, I was thinking about doing something new, something exciting, maybe something a little forbidden too. So when my friend pinged me saying- let’s make a trip to Hawaii, I had my eyebrows raised, wondering if she was thinking straight. 

Most people have a habit of giving their own 2 cents about everything, whether required or not. Over the next few days, I have had to hear so much from my so called well-wishers. Hawaii is not a place for 2 girls. Hawaii is where you go for your honeymoon. Go to Vegas, but keep Hawaii for a special occasion.

I wondered what was this big deal about Hawaii. One, most people who were advising me hadn’t even been there, maybe they had kept this so called secret location for a special occasion they had no idea about. For me, it was one of the 50 states in the US. And why not? US laws do not permit me to leave the country till I have had my visa status updated, and that is not happening for the next 6-8 months. Then what was so hush hush about going somewhere with a friend who is not a lover or a husband, in fact, not even from the opposite sex? Don’t girls travel on their own? In fact, don’t people travel on their own for pleasure?

Despite what people said, I had the best trip of my life. 5 days in Hawaii. 5 days of sun and sea and sand. Life is unpredictable, fate is fickle, and I will never again die with a regret that I listened to people and did not go to Hawaii.

As for the title of this post, it means thank you and welcome. Two words I picked up during my trip there.
sunshine

3 comments:

Urv said...

I love beaches :)

Waiting for the next posts. Please put up lots of pictures :)

wishes galore said...

"aloha" for this post!!!
it reaffirms that for holidays,infact for every damn case just follow your gut and you will have the time of ur life...

hope to hear more about that trip...

Rakhi said...

You went to Hawaii!!!! *grin* I'm having vicarious pleasure just by reading the post. :)
Oh and by the way, travelling on your own is the ONLY way to travel.
I went to Venice alone. Venice - where at every corner I seemed to be bumping into coochie-cooing couples. But it was so much fun. :)